Non Profit Fellowships
2018 Nominations are now closed.
Founding Patrons: Mr William D Ferris AC and Mrs Lea Ferris
Chair: Lisa George
The Non Profit Fellowships of A$12,500 each enable two Fellows selected from the non profit sector Australia-wide to attend the renowned Harvard Business School course titled “Strategic Perspectives in Non Profit Management” (SPNM) which is held each year in July.
Nominees must be the head of a non profit organisation who has the potential to have a significant impact in the non profit sector, and who meets various additional criteria.
Applicants may be nominated by a HCA member, a past Non Profit Fellow or the Chairman of their organisation. Applicants may also self nominate but must nominate a referee.
General information and criteria
The Non Profit Fellowships were established in 2001 to:
- Bring enhanced leadership skills to the Australian non profit sector;
- Enable leaders to examine their mission, develop new strategies and improve the effectiveness of their organisation; and
- Benefit the Australian community generally.
Eligibility Criteria - please read carefully before nominating:
The Applicant must:
- Be the full-time head of the organisation (General Manager, Executive Director or CEO);
- Have been in that organisation in that role or directly reporting to it for at least 12 months;
- Be committed to attend the 2018 Awards event in May (date to be advised) in Sydney and to arrive in the USA no later than 14 July 2018 for the program 15-21 July; and
- Not have attended a previous Harvard Business School course.
The non profit organisation led by the applicant must:
- Have at least 5 full time employees and ideally an operating budget greater than $1million;
- Directly serve the Australian community, not principally acting in a fundraising, advocacy, umbrella or coordinating capacity;
- Have a functioning Board of Directors, audited and produced an Annual Report; and
- Meet the Australian definition of a Non Profit, with Deductible Gift Recipient (DGR) status.
Applicants may be nominated by a Club member, a past Non Profit Fellow or the Chairman of their organisation. Applicants may also self nominate but must provide a referee.
To make a nomination please review the criteria with your nominee and complete the nomination here.
Nominees will be sent the application materials that must be returned by the due date.
Program dates for 2018 Fellowship:
Closing date for nominations – 1 December 2017
Closing date for applications – 5 February 2018
Short-list candidate interviews – Friday 23 March, Fellows selected shortly thereafter
Nonprofit Fellowship Awards luncheon and Fellowship Address (Sydney) – early/mid May 2018