Awarded in partnership with The Harvard Club of Australia and The Australian National University, the scholarship is administered by the ANU for postgraduate study in the United States .
The RG Menzies Scholarship to Harvard is awarded annually to at least one talented Australian who has gained admission to a Harvard graduate school. The ideal candidates for the Scholarship are Australians whose primary objective, after completing their studies at Harvard, is to make a significant contribution to this country's development.
To be considered for a Menzies Scholarship, you must be an Honours graduate (or equivalent) of an Australian university or other recognised Australian tertiary institution and:
- be an Australian citizen, or have permanent resident status, and normally reside in Australia;
- intend to return to Australia after completing your studies or to directly represent Australia overseas;
- have not commenced or previously undertaken a postgraduate degree course at a United States university; and
- must not have accepted another major scholarship (such as a Knox, Fulbright or Monash Award).
You must also have applied to the Harvard graduate school of your choice, and either been accepted or be confident about meeting its admission requirements and deadlines.
You must also address these criteria:
- qualities of intellect - as demonstrated through academic achievement and likely benefit from study at a Harvard graduate school;
- qualities of leadership - as demonstrated by prominence in your chosen field or by involvement in, for example, community affairs; and
- breadth of vision - as evidenced by the way you look at your present or intended profession in relation to its contribution to Australia and the Australian community.
There is no specific weighting for these criteria and the Selection Committee considers all fields of study. Mid-career applicants will also be assessed against an appropriate level of achievement.
The Committee may also consider these factors:
- financial need and the financial resources available; and
- field of study - the Committee may consider the academic endeavours of past scholars to broaden the scholarship's focus into all academic areas.
The Committee will also give preference to candidates who are not duplicating graduate studies previously undertaken elsewhere and who have not completed an undergraduate degree in the United States.
The scholarship is valued at up to USD$60,000 paid as a one-off payment at the commencement of the Harvard academic year. No other benefits are payable.
How to apply
Applications for 2018 will open on Friday 3 November 2017 and close on Thursday 9 February 2018, for scholarships to be taken up in that year (fall term in the USA).
The application form will be available in pdf from Friday 3 November 2017, however If you require it in an alternative format, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Key Dates for 2018
- Friday 3 November 2017 - Applications open
- Thursday 9 February 2018 - Applications close
- Monday 26 February 2018 - Referee reports due for shortlisted candidates
Please note that only one RG Menzies Scholarship will be awarded in 2018.
USD$60,000 paid as a one-off payment
1 on offer